Friday, October 30, 2009

Hi Y'all. I need help with a web page?

I am not very well clued in web design, however, I know enough to pass by. I need help in attaching a hyperlink to a page. The problem is that the information is in our webhost host and the file begins with a period (i.e. . then file name). How do I attach the contents of the file? When I use the URL address e.g. websitename.org/ .file name/document it does not work.



Hi Y%26#039;all. I need help with a web page?





Hi, I%26#039;m not sure I am reading your question correctly, but if I am then this explanation may help you.



If I am reading correctly I assume your destination file is in a folder that is not the same folder the sourcepage you are adding the hyper link to is.



If this is the case then you need to use a special html instruction which signifies %26quot;One Directory Higher%26quot;. This instruction is typed like so:



../



i.e.: Two periods followed by a forward slash [Note: no spaces between either period, or the period and forward slash!].



Here is an example:



%26lt;A HREF=%26quot;../directoryZ/page.html%26quot;%26gt;Open page%26lt;/A%26gt;



This link interpretted means the following:



%26quot;Go up one directory level, then go to a folder called directoryZ, then to a file called page.html%26quot;



If you want, you can repeat the ../ to make the link more than one level higher, for example you could %26quot;Go up two levels, to a file called index.html%26quot;:



%26lt;a href=%26quot;../../index.html%26quot;%26gt;Go To The Index Page%26lt;/a%26gt;



Take note though of one thing [and this might be what is behind your issue]; if you want your relative links to work, you must keep the file structure intact. For example, if you moved the sourcepage.html file down into the directory2 folder, the relative links would no longer work. In this case you would need to add another ../ to point the links to the correct level.



For example:



%26lt;a href=%26quot;../../../index.html%26quot;%26gt;Go To The Index Page%26lt;/a%26gt;



Hope this helps you.



Hi Y%26#039;all. I need help with a web page?



Is the file even in available web space? What begins with a period, the file or the folder? Where is this in relation to the page you are calling it from?



Other Replys:Please let me know are you with some free host or you pay for hosting. I am not getting you what you are talking about as i know just .htaccess have can begin with (.dot)



If you are looking for some good site building software with reliable hosting please have a look at http://www.webhosting.uk.com

No comments:

Post a Comment